Devonshire Street runs north-south through the center of downtown Boston from State Street to Summer Street. The intersection of State Street and Devonshire Street marks the location of the Boston Massacre. By 1872 Devonshire Street was at the center of Boston's booming mercantile district, much of which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1872 but quickly rebuilt soon after.
Beebe's Block which dominated Winthrop Square on Devonshire Street from 1867 until the building was destroyed during the fire of 1872.
Looking north on Devonshire Street from Winthrop Square. On the right is the Cathedral Building which stood at the corner of Franklin Street and Devonshire Street, destroyed during the Great Fire of 1872.
The Cathderal Building on the corner of Devonshire Street and Franklin Street, so named because it replaced the Holy Cross Cathedral in 1868.
The Cathedral Building at the corner of Devonshire Street and Franklin Street ca. 1870
The Revere Bank building the north corner of Franklin Street and Devonshire Street ca. 1867