DamrellsFire


~
Home
              

About the Film
              

TV Schedule
              

DVD Orders
              

Boston Directories
              

Photo Galleries
              

Online Books
              

Maps & Streets
              

Letters & Memoirs
~

About Damrell
              

Boston Built
              

Boston Burnt
              

Boston Rebuilt
~

Contact Us
~



Boston 1872 Gallery: Church Green Block



The intersection of Summer Street and Bedford Street in downtown Boston is known as Church Green in reference to New South Church which occupied the space until 1867. Boston architect William G. Preston was commissioned to design the Church Green building which became occupied by Freeman's Bank by 1870.

First floor architectural plan for the Church Green building prepared by William G. Preston in 1868.
Front elevation architectural plan for the Church Green building prepared by William G. Preston in 1868.

First floor windows architectural rendering for the Church Green building prepared by William G. Preston in 1868.
Side view architectural plan for the Church Green building prepared by William G. Preston in 1868.

Other side view architectural plan for the Church Green building prepared by William G. Preston in 1868.
Side view architectural plan for the Church Green building prepared by William G. Preston in 1868.
A modern view of Church Green area of Summer Street whereOld South Church stood until 1867. The building at ChurchGreen today still bears the label "Church Green" just belowthe top row of windows on the front of the building.
A modern view of Church Green building on Summer Street whereOld South Church stood until 1867. This building some bears resemblance to its predecessor, the Freeman's Bank building designed by W.G Preston which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1872.
Map of Summer Street area in the vicinity of Church Green showingfootprints of buildings ca 1870, the Church Green building (at that time known as Freeman's Bank) is highlighted in yellow.
The church at Church Green near the intersection of Summer Street and Bedford Street, was vacated and removed by 1870 to be replaced by a 5-story commercial building.
Home | Maps & Streets | Online Books | Boston Directories | Introduction | Contact Us


Copyright 2003, 2006 Docema. Photographs are property of their respective owners.

 

dOCEMA